Thursday, September 25, 2014

Blog 092614

The only time I have even been asked "what are you" is at school during a research project about our heritage or ancestors.  I have never been asked "what are you' outside of school and I think that is because most people just see me as white.  You could walk past me and just think "white girl" and that would probably all you ever define me as.  I think that yes I am white but I am also so many different ethnicity's that I make up my own story. I am from Italy and Germany, I am from Sweden and Norway and those places are all different.  So If a stranger asked me what I am I think that would say that I am a story and a combination of many different generations, not just a white girl.

I feel like society tries to make mixed people choose between whether they are black or white which I disagree with because I think that people are not just black and white but a mix and a story of many cultures.  I think that in this story Rachel is considered to be black by the people around her.  When Rachel and Jesse are at the fountain that night he keeps referring to her as being black but I think that she is a mix so she should be called a mix and she should know that.  This video and article reminds me most of how Rachel is often referred to as a black girl but she really isn't.

I think that Heidi Durrow would greatly appreciate what our generation of college students are doing to the multiracial population because she said herself that when people ask her "what are you" her favorite answer is that she is a story.  I think that Heidi Durrow's answer to who she is connects to the quote because instead of having to repeat herself and telling people where she is from which is not enough she just tells people the truth which is that she is a story just like everybody else.






No comments:

Post a Comment